The History of The Classic Grand
The Classic Grand building has been in place for over 150 years, initially opening as a warehouse, circa 1860. In 1915 Glasgow architect William B Whitie, best known for his winning competition design for the Mitchell Library, designed the conversion to convert the premises in to a cinema. The Grand Central Cinema.
It showed a mixture of drama, comedy and newsreels, with an orchestra pit to supply the background music. The cinema remained popular until the latter half of the century, when, after World War II, more modern picture houses were built. It tried to find a niche audience with arthouse cinema, but many of the films it showed were either erotica or B-rated horror.
The Grand Central closed in 1966, but shortly after being given a category B-listed building status in 1970, it re-opened as the Classic-Grand cinema in 1973, under the auspices of its new owners, Classic Cinemas.
It changed name again to the Cannon-Grand, and finally the Curzon, before closing its doors as a cinema chain for good in 1992. For a brief spell it operated as an amusement arcade, but was the site of a fire in 2001. Most of the original art deco features of the cinema remain intact, and after renovation it opened as the Classic Grand, and remains so.
The Classic Grand is now one of the leading live music and entertainment venues in Scotland, having hosted various acts. From Adele, Stereophonics, Obie Trice, 911 & 5ive, to the official Take That afterparty. World renowned DJs such as Dash Berlin and Gareth Emery have also graced the Classic Grand stage.